Being educated about the causes and hazards of mold, as well as how to best remove and prevent it can help you successfully deal with mold problems. Here are the answers to 10 frequently asked questions about mold in homes:
- What’s mold?
Mold is a type of fungus that lives nearly everywhere there’s moisture, oxygen, and organic matter. Mold plays an important function in nature as it helps decompose organic substances. But, mold found indoors can cause health issues, as well as structural issues to buildings.
- Why does mold grow in homes?
Mold releases microscopic mold spores into the air. Since mold spores are airborne, all houses have mold spores in them, some over others. Mold grows in houses because virtually all homes meet the requirements of mold growth: moisture, nutrients (such as cellulose), and time.
- Where does mold grow in houses?
Mold commonly grows in areas that are prone to moisture, like the cellar and bathroom. However, mold also can grow in hidden regions of the home, such as behind walls, under the floor, in the air conditioning system, at the crawl area, or in the loft.
- When does mold become a problem?
Although all houses have mold spores in them, larger patches of mold growth can lead to health issues and structural damage. Signs of mold in homes include a musty odor and the visible black or white specks in areas of your home that have a water problem.
- Am I vulnerable to mold?
If there is mold growth in your house, you may be exposed to it. When mold is disturbed, it releases spores into the indoor air that you breathe. Other forms of exposure include touching the mold itself or moldy items, eating moldy food, and hand-to-mouth contact.
- How can mold affect our health?
Mold-sensitive people may exhibit allergy symptoms, such as coughing, runny or stuffy nose, coughing, itchy eyes, wheezing, and skin irritation. Mold exposure can also trigger asthmatic symptoms which include coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, and chest tightness. Mold can also cause irritant reactions, which can be similar to those of an allergic reaction.
- Should I test for mold?
When you suspect there is mold growing in your house, you do not need to understand which kind of mold it is, but you ought to get it removed as soon as possible. It’s not necessary to test for mold in the event that you already observe the symptoms of mold growth inside your property. Following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), sampling and culturing are not reliable in determining your health risk.
- Can I clean up the mold myself?
Although it is almost always better to seek the services of a certified mold removal company, you could be able to remove small patches of mold yourself (which are smaller than 10 square feet). When you are not sure how to eliminate mold, or in case the infested area is larger than 10 square feet, get in touch with a skilled practitioner.
- How do I clean up mold?
Removing mold efficiently is harder than most men and women believe. First, you have to use protective clothing to reduce exposure to mold. Then, you have to isolate the mold, so it will not spread to other rooms. After that, fix the water issue and dry the surface. To clean the mold up, scrub a combination of household detergent and warm water on the surface (don’t use bleach).
- How can I prevent mold growth in my home?
Preventing mold requires fixing moisture problems in your home. Repair leaks in the walls, roof, gutters, and plumbing pipes, maintain indoor humidity at 30-50% with a dehumidifier, ventilate appliances which generate moisture and keep the gutter system tidy. Learn more mold prevention hints here.
For more information and tips about mold prevention and removal, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn to get our alarms. Contact PuroClean for mold remediation providers and water damage repair. We can get your property back in order quickly and economically. Check out the disaster restoration services Bartlett for more information.